70% EtOH Preparation
About this protocol: This protocol outlines the steps and materials involved in preparing 70% EtOH (Ethanol) solution used in sanitization during cell culture.
1. '100% Reagent Grade Ethanol
- Purchased from Vet Med Stockroom (in Vet Med 3B)
2. Distilled Water
- Purchased from Vet Med Stockroom
3. 500 mL (or greater) spray bottle
The 100% reagent grade EtOH is stored in the flammable cabinet in Kemper 1246 not in the 2248 lab. Bring EtOH to the lab for this procedure.
1. Using a beaker, add 70% of the final desired volume of 100% EtOH to the spray bottle.
- Ex: for 600 mL total volume add 420 mL of EtOH
2. Add the remaining 30% of the desired volume of distilled water to the spray bottle.
- Ex: for 600 mL total volume add 180 mL of distilled water
3. Reseal the top of the spray bottle, and spray multiple times to ensure it is sealed.
4. Return the 100% EtOH to the flammable cabinet in Kemper 1246.
5. Store at room temperature.
1. Clean any areas where EtOH may have spilled.
2. Rinse out the used beaker and place for drying.